Health Philosophy PreK – 5
The American School of Doha’s Health Education Program empowers students to establish positive health practices that will support and enhance lifelong wellness.
Health education is a planned sequential PreK – 12 Curriculum that addresses the physical, mental, emotional and social dimensions of health.
Health education provides the knowledge and critical thinking skills necessary for students to make informed choices, and to exert positive control over their lives.
The role of the family and community in reinforcing and supporting healthy lifestyle decisions is essential. The resulting sense of well-being and self esteem in each individual promotes the ongoing development of a healthy individual who is a contributing member of our society.
Essential Agreements for Elementary School Health
• A PreK – 5 Health Program will include health concepts, knowledge and skills that enable students to develop health enhancing behaviors.
• A PreK – 5 Health Program will enable students to develop and use appropriate skills when assessing risks, considering potential consequences and making health-enhancing decisions.
• A PreK – 5 Health Program provides students with the knowledge and skills to critically evaluate and communicate health information clearly for self-management and health promotion.
• A PreK – 5 Health Program encourages students to make a positive contribution to their own health and that of the community and environment.
• A PreK – 5 Health Program will assist in creating a safe and supportive environment wherein individual similarities and differences are acknowledged and respected. For health education classes to be effective they should also be conducted in a safe and supportive environment.
• ASD’s comprehensive health education is strengthened through collaboration between all components of the coordinated school health program, other subjects, non-classroom based activities and the wider school community.
Health Education Philosophy Grades 6 - 12
American School Of Doha’s health education program encourages students to establish positive health practices that will support and enhance lifelong wellness. Health education is a planned, sequential, 6-12 curriculum that addresses the physical, mental, emotional, and social dimensions of health. It allows students to develop and demonstrate increasingly sophisticated health-related knowledge, attitudes, skills, and practices in an ever-changing world.
Health Essential Agreements for Grades 6-12
• Students will be presented with health concepts and skills that enable them to foster healthy habits and behaviors.
• Students will be exposed to the use fundamental health concepts to assess risks, to consider potential consequences and to make health–enhancing decisions.
• The students will have an understanding of how to communicate health information clearly for self-management and promotion.
• Students will have an understanding of how to work in a positive manner with families, school staff, peers and community members to enhance personal health and create a safe and supportive environment in where individuals, similarities and differences are acknowledged.
• ASD’s comprehensive health education is strengthened thru collaboration, in partnership among all components of the coordinated school health program and other subjects.